Hey guys! This project started out as just a bit of fun, playing around with my latest purchase the new Tim Holtz Oxide Distress inks. I really liked the effect from placing Distress, Oxides and water on a craft mat and then tapping card into it. But to start I’ll give you some measurements for the Explosion Box in layers, layer 1 (12 x 12 inch) being the largest outer layer, giving the box its shape. Layer 2 (11 1/2 x 11 1/2 inch) being the first of the inner layers and layer 3 (11 x 11 inch) the smallest inside layer. The next step is to score each side of each page in at 4 inches and trim off the excess square corners to make your box shape. To make my explosion box a little more inventive, instead of trimming off the excess corners I used them to create pockets for tags and flaps that open for more space for photos. The final piece is the lid which measures 7 1/8 x 7 1/8 and scored in at 1 1/2 inch on each side.
To decorate layer 1 & 2 I applied Tim Holtz Ground Espresso Distress Ink using a wet wipe for a smooth coverage. For layer 2 & the lid I dabbed the card into Walnut Stain and Mermaid Lagoon from the normal Distress ink line. And from the new Oxide inks Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo, Cracked Pistachio and Iced Spruce. This combination of colours and inks gave a rich depth and rusty look to the project that I loved, and that inspired me to decorate the box with a steampunk theme.
For decoration on layer 2 I decided to put in two corset pages using metal eyelets and turquoise ribbon from my stash (unsure of the brand) again carrying on with the steampunk theme. I also began sticking either turquoise or brown card photo tabs on each of my layers to eventually stick photos over the top of them. To signify their purpose I stamped a camera image in the centre of them from the Tim Holtz mini blueprints stamp set using the Oxide inks. I also used this stamp, Tim Holtz Idea-ology Game Spinners and the Xcut Chronology cog dies to further decorate some of the other layers. After creating little pockets for tags in layer 3 I die cut some tags from the Tim Holtz Framelits die set to fit in them, trimming the bottom off as they were a little too large. I also cut a half circle out of the top of the pockets to make it easier to remove the tags using circle punch.
The final touch for this project was adding a cupboard door knob that I had found in a local DIY shop through the top of the lid, so it made the explosion box opening process a little easier. This project was really fun, and a great way to get used to using the new Oxide Distress inks for backgrounds and stamping. I’m sorry if the instructions are a little hit and miss but its not the easiest project to explain how to do and it’s probably the hardest thing I’ve ever tried to photograph. Overall though this is a project I would definitely recommend trying as they make great gifts and are easy to personalise. If you do give it a go use the #winstoniancrafts on your social media posts so I can have a look, I would love to see your take on it. Happy crafting!